Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Week 74 - D&C 100:12 What's your verse?!

Loved ones,

It was pretty cold here in Georgia this past week! Everyone went into a panic because there was a forecast of 3-5 inches of snow on Friday night. The kids got out of school early and the grocery stores were cleared out of bread and milk haha. We had fun biking and walking around and sharing the good news of the gospel! I hope y'all stayed safe and warm! I hear it was pretty bad this past week for y'all too. Oh yeah, we woke up Saturday to a dusting of snow on the ground and all the trees were covered in ice! It was so pretty! We took some pictures but they don't do it justice.

Stephanie came to church! She is reading the Book of Mormon every day and is on page 17! We had a lesson with her on Saturday night. Her mom has always been open to her learning but now that she sees that she is truly starting to believe it's made her nervous and she tries to come in and interrupt our lessons. It's kind of a bummer. But we have helped her make some new friends in the ward and members want to have her over for lessons in their homes so it should work out just wonderfully. I'm so excited for her! Oh! A girl in the ward named Lucy has become her friend by coming to teach her with us. She picked her up and showed her around. Their Sunday school teacher is a convert and we didn't realize it! It was perfect! He opened up to her and shared his experiences investigating the church and they all welcomed her with open arms. I love her so much. I know the Lord will watch over her and Heavenly Father will answer her prayers. I also know she is in good hands with Sister Hurst and her new companion.

Saturday was freezing and icy and we didn't have our car. We felt that the best use of our time would be to tract in apartment complexes and neighborhoods nearby our apartment. As we began our companion study the thought came to my mind of a French Liahona that Sister Neff had left for one of our investigators. We adjusted our plans so we could bring it by to her. We walked a couple miles to her neighborhood. She was home and happy we stopped by but was on her way out the door and couldn't talk for long. We went to follow up with a few more potential investigators with no luck. We were trying to decide if we should leave that neighborhood or keep trying and go deeper into it. We stopped, looked at our area book map ap and remembered a former investigator a member family wanted us to check in on in that neighborhood! We kept going and across the street we saw a guy walking towards us. We waved and said hello. He thought we were crazy and asked what we were doing out in the cold! We told him we were missionaries sharing the restored gospel of Jesus Christ! He instantly said "Oh, y'all are Mormons?! I was an investigator about a year ago. The two young men that would meet with me asked me to read and pray about the Book of Mormon but I never did. They would come over and read and talk with me. Are y'all able to do that? I can give you my address and phone number." ..... We were in shock!! Haha. We talked a little more about his experience with the Elders, answered a few of his concerns about the Bible and the Book of Mormon, invited him to church and set a return appointment for the next day. As we were parting ways he told us "I'll give y'all this... I've been going to a lot of different churches over the years and I felt the influence of the Holy Spirit more in your church than any other." It was a miracle!! We kept walking down to check in on the former. Bad time. We had to use the restroom so we stopped by a member nearby. She offered to give us a ride wherever we needed to go. It was sooo tempting! We were freezing! We looked at each other and because of our experience with Justin we felt it was right and were even excited about walking and talking to people. We turned one last corner before walking out of the neighborhood and guess who we crossed paths with again?... Justin!! We said our hellos again and he told us how he just felt really confused... He has studied so many different religions and heard so many different ideas his mind just wasn't in a good place and he didn't like it. Instantly I had a Mormon message come to my mind called "Origin" it shows a teenage girl going through life today and she is reciting the words of Joseph Smith from JSH taking about the "war of worlds" and " tumult of opinions" which ultimately led him to "ask of God". We shared it with him. I could see him wiping the tears from his eyes as it played out. He thanked us for showing him the video and said it lit a fire inside him. He also told us that as he was walking back God told him to read the Book of Mormon. He said he wanted to go do it right then! It was incredible. We had studied that morning about understanding and recognizing the Holy Ghost. It truly helped us be sensitive to the Spirits guidance. Then, as we humbly relied on the Spirit and tried our best to make the most of the situations we were in, the Lord worked miracles. 

Ever since I was a little girl when someone would ask me what I wanted to be when I grow up I would answer "A mom!". It's always been my greatest desire. As I was praying last night talking with Heavenly Father different experiences were brought to my mind. I thought of memories of my mom rocking me and my siblings to sleep singing primary songs. I thought of memorizing The Living Christ as a family. I thought of reading our scriptures as a family in the mornings. I was overcome with gratitude for my sweet parents. I also had memories of the opportunities I've had to teach the gospel in simple terms. Mostly memories of teaching children. Even just that day. I felt such peace and such joy! Heavenly Father knows my greatest desires. He knew the way to make me the best possible mom I could be. I know more now than ever that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father and that He knows and loves me. I know His Son, Jesus Christ, is my Savior and my Redeemer. I have a love for the scriptures deep in my heart. I will be able to tell me children "the stories of Jesus" and the stories of the prophets that testified of him in the scriptures. I also have grown a love for the restoration in an indescribable way. I have a desire to know and learn from latter-day prophets and their lives. I will be able to teach them to my children. These are just a few of the things I have been reflecting on... I'm just so thankful for my mission. 

I'm still planning on reading the Book of Mormon in 65 days! I've learned so much and felt the power of taking more time to read it! 

I can't thank all y'all enough for all the prayers and love that has been sent my way! Can't wait to give each one of y'all a big hug!!

All my love,
❤️
Sister Christensen

I will miss Sister Hosman so much!!

Hailey is getting baptized on Saturday. When she found out I wouldn't be there she broke down sobbing! It broke my heart! We got to celebrate her birthday dinner with her last night though so that made up for it.. kinda. Love her.

"Blizzard"
Georgia gave me a beautiful goodbye present last night 😍.



No comments:

Post a Comment